Wiring Thies First Class?

Anonymous

Hi David,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Regarding your last post concerning Thies sensor wiring, is the same rule applied both for Thies vanes and anemometers?

Our Thies vane (P6245H) has five wires (green-yellow, green, yellow, brown, and white). Also, I couldn?t find any default scale or offset in their brochure. Is there your default scale or offset for Thies vane?

And our Thies anemometer (P6100H) has four wires (green-yellow - SHILD, green - PULSE, brown - GND, white ? SUPPLY).

Thank you for your fast reply.

Kind regards,

Dario Dukic

I can't speak to the color of the wires, but the connection of the sensor's outputs should be just like wiring a 200P wind vane.

Excitation
Signal
Ground

As long as you have the potentiometer-based output the Thies vane will work with a 3152 Vane SCM in any of the SymphoniePLUS's analog slots.

• 1 year later...

Oops. The question was meant in regards to the connection of the Thies wind speed sensor. :-)

To be clear. For the Thies FC wind speed sensor, is it necessary to use some type of SCM card for connecting it? From the datasheets I read that the Thies has an output frequency of 1082 Hz at 50 m/s, while the Nr.40 has a maximum frequency of 125 Hz (about 65 Hz at 50 m/s). The RM Young Wind Monitor is specified to have 90 Hz at 8.8 m/s, (about 510 Hz at 50 m/s) and I see that there is a special SCM card for using it with the Symphonie dataloggers. In the Symphonie specs it says up to 2500 Hz is ok, so based on that, the Thies FC wind speed sensor should be fine, but then I don't understand why the RM Young Wind Monitor should need an SCM card.

Good questions:

• The Symphonie's #40C pre-configured inputs and SCMs are designed to accept Sine-wave signals. They have low pass filters that reject any frequency above 125Hz.

• The special SCM card for RM Young Wind Monitor sensors hasa low pass filter of a higher frequency than the #40C SCM.
  • The Thies anemometer requires the use of the 3151 Digital Anemometer SCM. This SCM will accept square-wave signals at an even higher frequency which will accommodate te Thies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello,

We are attempting to connect a Thies First Class anemometer to a Symphonie Plus logger. We have wired it in the manner shown on the pdf you give in is thread... the corrected one, but no reading. However, the digital SCM cards we are using are old ones... they say 3063 on them, not 3151... Is this a problem?

Thank you!

Lael

Hello,

we did get the Thies to work. We did have an iPack attached, but had problems with a faulty wiring panel and a cracked scm card. However, the current Thies wire colors do not match the NRG diagram. The combination that worked was White wire to positive, Green to negative, Brown to 12v supply, and Yellow wire unconnected.

Lael

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Matthew, thank you for calling that to my attention!

The file is now reflecting the correct wiring configuration in the table.

EDIT: 09/14/2015: updated APNOTE to include newer wiring configuration.

Hi David,

in that document attached, there are 4 wire can be connected to SymponiePLUS3 but actually, there are 5 wire from Thies FC Anemometer (white, green, brown, yellow and shield) then, there are 4 slots only on the terminal that reserved for anemometer.

So, my question is , where should I connect the yellow cable to SymponiePLUS3?

Thank you

Regards

Archived