iPack Email and RWD files

Dominic E

Hi there NRG Team,

I am setting up my iPack and trying to estimate the amount of data that will be sent per month for billing purposes.

I was wondering, if we set the call schedule to every 2 days at 7:15pm then which RWD files would we receive from the logger? And how much data would they contain?

Also, is there an average/expected file size for RWD files?

Regards,

Dominic

Hi Dominic,

Complete 1-day RWD files from Symphonie and SymphoniePLUS loggers are 14KB on disk.

However, in the email, they are roughly 19KB due to the email header information that goes with it.  All told, an email from an iPack containing a complete data file is 22KB.  If the file is a partial file it will be less than that, with its size depending on the time of day of the call.

For a 2-day call schedule at 19:15, the overall transmission size will be less than 60KB.  This means the monthly data transmission would be slightly less than 1MB.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have a question regarding the size of emails.

I have a few loggers that send emails that are around 15kb. However, one of them sends many emails that are 4kb. Is there any way to increase the size of the emails and therefore reduce the number of emails that must be sent?

The logger calls in once a week and the emails are depicted in the illustration below:

http://qupload.com/images/nrgquestio.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

A full day's RWD file will be ~14kB. When this file is attached to an email by the iPack using MIME encoding it is approximately 19kB.

The 4kB emails that show in the picture you of the link you reference may indicate that the logger is having trouble creating full files. When you look at these files you may find that there are only a couple of intervals of data, if any.

Import all of the partial files into your site using SDR, then check the event log. If you see reboots and MMC failures you should consider swapping out the logger and getting it repaired.

I hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I should have added that the logger was down (due to low battery) for a long period of time. Once the battery was replaced, the logger sent 4kb files containing reboot and MMC errors for about 3 weeks.

Now, the logger no longer sends these 4kb files. Do you suspect that there was a backlog of error emails and that, due to the limited 'dialed in' time occurring once a week, the logger was required to spread out the error emails to 3 weeks?

Cheers

If the iPack's battery was dead, and the logger's D cells were on the low side the logger may have been having trouble writing to the MMC. When this occurs, there can be multiple "header only" files of 3 or 4 kB.

When the iPack is back online it will send all "unsent" data files starting with the oldest and sending up to the current day's file.

I hope that helps.

I have a question that relates to this thread...

I would like to set up my call schedule so that I do not receive any RWD files that only contain header info (2 KB). Right now I have my schedule set to call every 2 days at 12:05am and I generally get two consecutive days of full files (14 KB) and one empty header file for the third day (2 KB). The reason I have call scheduled for 12:05 is to make sure that I capture all data from the preceding day.

Can you recommend a time setup that you think will eliminate empty header files? Would setting it at exactly 12:00 midnight eliminate empty files and would I still capture 0-24 of the preceding day? Daily interval does not matter to me (Im thinking about upping it to call once per week).

Thanks for the help.

This feature is only available on iPackGPS communication modules. These have serial numbers that begin with "46".

In the Modify iPack Settings window (Site > Modify iPack settings) click the iPackGPS tab. There it is possible to enable this feature:

SDR Screen shot

PLEASE NOTE: When this setting is selected files may not be sent during manually initiated calls. The iPack will only send completed 24-hour files.

• 1 month later...

Archived