Changes on #40C Scale Factors after Field Deployment

mchan

We post-calibrated some #40Cs. In some cases, the difference in slopes and offsets before and after ~2 years of field deployment appears to be quite significant. For example, the slope and offset of one #40C were 0.76 and 0.29 at the beginning, and changed to 0.771 and 0.47 after field deployment.

- Any advice on how to incorporate the post-calibration scale factors into wind assessment?

- Can NRG share any analysis on comparison between pre- and post- field deployment scale factors?

Thank you for your attention and help.

There are many different approaches to using information gained from anemometer post calibration. Here I would invite our forum members who have more experience on this to chime in...

Some use the post cal results to verify the integrity of the sensor and to assign an uncertainty value to its data. Others will use the post cal results to rescale the data collected, either as an entire set, or for part of the campaign.

It is conceivable for the slope and offset for a #40C anemometer to remain constant throughout the entire measurement campaign, but typically the performance characteristics will change slightly over time. The difference in pre and post calibration values depends on many factors, but mainly on the length of the measurement campaign, and the environment in which the sensor was deployed.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Archived