iPackGPS.rwd Files

pcorcoran

From time to time we've heard of customers receiving 2 KB data files titled "iPackGPS.rwd" instead of the normal 14 KB files.
When the files are opened, the following error pops up, and the file is empty:

nlVZMvFjIDAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCB6FL+u1lEATSAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC2014-04-23_15-02-45.png  2014-04-23_15-03-12.png

This is caused by a communication error between the logger and SD card, which results in the iPackGPS being unable to locate and send the correct file. Instead, it sends an empty placeholder file, which is the "iPackGPS.rwd" file. Although the placeholder file sent contains no data, the complete raw data file is still stored on the logger's SD card.

To correct the miscommunication, install a new NRG FAT-A formatted SD card or reformat the existing SD card and reset the logger. We do NOT recommend using locally sourced SD cards!

Option 1: Insert a new SD Card:
Remove the existing SD from the logger, press the reset button (shown below), and then insert a new NRG FAT-A formatted SD card.
Watch the logger screen as the SD card is "Initialized" and make sure it returns to the Home Screen without saying "Initialization Failed".  If the initialization fails, reformat the card (see instructions below) or throw the card away.
 2014-04-08_16-14-33.png
To confirm that the SD card is working properly, press [Home 2. Status 2. Mem Card Status].
The screen should read:

Card Inserted
Logging
## Files Stored
### Days Left

"Call Now":
In order to verify that the new or reformatted SD card is working properly, perform a Call Now to send a data file. Please note that you will have to wait until just after the top of the hour for the logger to write a file to the SD card (this is done at the top of each hour).

On the logger keypad, press [Home --> 3. Utilities --> 4. iPack --> 1. Call Now].

Watch as the call goes through and then confirm with whoever receives the data that they got a file and it is readable.

NOTE: If "Partial Files" are turned off on the iPackGPS, no data file will be sent. The iPack settings will need to be modified in order for a test call to be made and a file sent. The other option is to wait until the next scheduled call and then confirm that the files are being sent correctly.

Option 2: Reformat the SymphoniePLUS3 SD card:
1.    Navigate to www.renewablenrgsystems.com/technical-support/software and select "SymphoniePLUS3CardFormatter.zip" to download.

2.    Extract ZIP file to any local folder (for example, C:\NRG\SymDR\).

3.     Insert NRG SD card into SD card reader.

4.    Launch Windows Explorer (Start -> Computer) and find the drive letter associated with the card. The card is often read by drive (E:)
 2014-04-23_14-40-51.png

5.    Navigate to the directory where the zip file was extracted.

6.    Launch by double clicking SymphoniePLUS3CardFormatter.exe.
 2014-04-23_14-43-39.png

7.    Select the drive letter from the drop-down list in the tool that corresponds to the SD card (per step #2). Click the button labeled "Format SD Card" to start the process.
 2014-04-23_14-44-26.png

8.    Press the ?Enter' key when prompted by the command line pop-up window that will appear.
 2014-04-23_14-45-54.png

9.    Wait for the program to complete, look for the message indicating that the format completed successfully.  Then look at the SD card in Windows Explorer, where it should look like this:
 2014-04-23_14-48-01.png

10.    Remove the SD card from the reader. It is now ready to be used in a SymphoniePLUS3 data logger.

11.    Confirm that the SD card is working properly by pressing [Home --> 2. Status --> 2. Mem Card Status].

12.    Perform a "Call Now" as described in the previous section to verify that the iPack is able to get the right file.

Troubleshooting:

• If the format fails, try again. If it keeps failing, try doing a simple Windows format, and then try to format the card again with the SymphoniePLUS3 Formatter App.
  • If card formatting continues to fail, try using an SD card reader instead of the computer's built-in SD card slot.
  • If this does not work, or if an external card reader is not available, try running the program on a different computer.

Windows XP note: This tool must be run with administrative privileges. Either log on to the machine as an administrator, or right-click the application or select "Run as..." to enter the proper administrator credentials.

If Unable to Visit the Site:
If a site visit it out of the question, send Renewable NRG Systems Tech Support a copy of the latest good raw data file (*.rwd), the iPackGPS.rwd file and the *.ipk file for the iPack.

support@renewableNRGsystems.com

• 1 year later...

Hello Sir,

I am in this case. I configured the first email server : smtp.aaa.vn  --> i received 2 KB data files titled "iPackGPS.rwd". But i changed to the second email server: smtp.bbb.vn --> i received 14kb data files. I didn't format SD card. 

I don't know why.. Please help me

Thank you very much

vinhquyen

Hello Vinhguyen,

Thank you for your email.

Are you able to try the smtp.aaa.vn server again to see if you experience the same thing? I'd be interested to know if the first SMTP server works properly now, or if it again gives another iPackGPS.rwd file.

Please send the two different *.ipk files to us at support@rnrgsystems.com and we'll take a look. Thank you!

Pearse

• 2 years later...

An additional pieces of information regarding this topic:

If replacing or reformatting the SD card does not fix the iPackGPS.RWD issue, then the logger needs to be replaced.

The iPackGPS.RWD files are the result of the iPackGPS being unable to pull the data file from the logger. Often this is because the SD card is corrupted and the iPackGPS cannot find and pull the right data file, and send the iPackGPS.RWD in place of the valid data file.

If the SD card and been replaced and the issue continues then the iPackGPS is having trouble navigating through the logger to the SD card. This indicates that the logger is damaged and needs to be replaced. 

Archived