Multiple Configurations?

Michael Morris

Hello all,

My group is currently in the process of converting from a text-and-Excel based system to a SQL Server based data storage system.  As such, we have two separate workflows involving SDR.  One has the text files exported to a location on the file system and manually imported to Excel for storage in a spreadsheet.  The new system ingests the processed text files automatically into the SQL server.

Since there are two different systems and the new one is still under testing, I am currently processing data with both methods.  I attempted to install SDR in two separate folders in my filesystem (C:\NRG\SymDR and C:\NRG\SymDR_old) with different shortcuts to both instances.  One instance is configured to read RWD files and export them using the old system, and the other looks in different locations and exports in the new format.  However, the two shortcuts do not keep the settings separate.  Is there a way to make sure that the two instances of SDR can run with separate configurations?

Thanks in advance

Hi Michael,

Using an SQL based data system makes sense for those like yourselves who are processing lots of data. 

In your example, even though you have installed SDR in two different directories on your computer, both instances of SDR will use the same SDR registry entries.  The registry contains all the file location preferences found under File>Options. 

The best you will be able to do is to run SDR off of two computers OR create 2 sets of file locations, including site files (again in the File>Options tab) and switch between them. 

In this case, you will actually have two sets of site files (*.nsd) to switch between.

Thanks!

Archived