Email service providers for cellular iPacks

lukeEVP

My company has about 10 sites with cellular iPacks and after considering our options for email service to use with the iPacks (windlinx, packet-mail stand alone, earthlink, gmx), we still don't have an email service that we're entirely comfortable with. Currently we have two GMX accounts setup for those sites, one sender and one receiver, but we're concerned with GMX being a free webmail service. Will it go out of business, with it's setup change suddenly, will a bear eat it's servers?

So we're testing the forum to see if any other NRG clients are using an email service that they would recommend as being a reliable service that will work with one sender and one receiver (so it needs to allow for concurrent logins), it needs to work with POPAuto, and that doesn't require some wacky dial-up subscription to get access to an email account (Earthlink).

Any recommendations out there?

We still want to go with just one sender account for ease of implementation going forward.

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke,

From my experience your approach so far seems pretty good for ~10 sites. If you plan on expanding your fleet to say 25 or 30 you may prefer to develop your own mail servers. This can be a relatively low cost option and can be done with a stand alone PC, a build of Linux and some mail server software such as Postfix and Qmail (sending and receiving, respectively).

I'm also interested to hear what other customers may prefer for mail server options.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

David,

Thanks for your suggestion. We're currently embarking on a data handling project that will live on a virtual windows 2008 server. Do you know if there is any way Postfix and Qmail can be made to work in that kind of environment. I think it would be much cleaner and more reliable than having a dedicated machine to handle the send/receive services.

Thanks,

Luke

Archived