troubleshooting of temperature sensor

metmast

Can somebody advise me how to troubleshoot a temperature sensor of data logger. I already perform the voltage check and the resulting output voltage converted into degrees is within 2 degrees of the reference temperature prob meaning it is still good. I did not perform the current check because of problem with my digital multitester and it is very difficult for it to read a very little amount of current like 300 micro amperes and below. I planning to put the sensor into another slot with its SCM. i hope somebody can help me.Thank you

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

If the voltage output of the sensor is logical, then it is fairly safe to assume that the sensor is working properly.

Moving the sensor to another channel would be the next logical option. If possible bring a spare 110S Temp Sensor SCM card with you in case the current SCM card sustained some damage. 

Generally speaking, if the sensor is okay then the next likely culprit is the logger's wiring panel. Moving the sensor to a different channel will verify if the channel is the effected part. Usually the SCM cards don't get damaged but it can happen.

Let us know what you find. You can always email us at support@rnrgsystems.com.

Thank you!

Pearse

Hello,

Thank you. I already solved the problem by switching the sensor from analog channel 10 to a spare flex channel 5. The problem may be the channel itself. The only problem we did not solve is the data transmitting of iPack thru email. iPack is not sending email for about 3 months. The sim card is good as per checking. We can not download the ipk file on the iPack because of communication failure. We dont know whether we are using the wrong programming cables or we are have skipped a step of the process. The version of our NRG Symphonie Data Retriever  is 7.07.06 because the one of the technical support of NRG told us to download the latest version.Is this the latest version? Thank you for your help.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

If moving the sensor to a different channel fixed the performance issue, then it is safe to assume that the logger channel is damaged.

Does the logger have an iPack Voltmeter SCM card installed on it? If so, is the iPack battery voltage above 10.5 v DC? If the iPack battery voltage falls below 10.5 v DC the logger and Symphonie Data Retriever (SDR) application might not be able to connect to it. This should be ruled out before proceeding.

7.07.06 is the current version of SDR. There should not be a problem with the software itself.

Sometimes getting USB to Serial Adapter cables to work can be challenging, especially if the cable is not a brand that we know.

I suggest looking up the manufactures website and checking to see if they have a driver you can download for the cable. Then install the driver and confirm in Windows Control Panel that the device has been properly installed.

At that point you should be able  to open SDR, go to 'Site' and choose 'Modify iPack Settings'. From there go 'Options' and choose 'Comm Port'. Click on the drop down and select the available COM port. Close the window and you should be able to connect.

Click on the image below to see a quick .gif of the process:

Enable COM Port

Please let me know if this works.

Pearse

We already replaced the iPack battery when it fall below 10VDC and the logger is not detecting the iPack. Its current voltage reading is 13.398 VDC. As for the cables, we already have the software because the cable that we purchase comes with a CD installer. We already saw COM3 selection on the drop down button of the "COMM PORT" but still it fails to communicate with the iPack. What else do you think could be the problem?

DTECH brand USB to serial cables are what we are using and we have an CD installer of the software but still we can not communicate the iPack. What about the CATA Cable DB9  (M) to DB25 (M) cable? Do this cable need an installer? USB to serial cable seems ok because the computer is able to detect the USB cable.

Hello,

Thank you for confirming the battery voltage.

It sounds like the driver has been installed properly considering COM3 shows up in the Symphonie Data Retriever application. The DB9 to DB25 cable does not require its own driver.

It is starting to seem like the iPack itself might be damaged. Do you have another iPack available that you know is working and can use to test the connectivity of the cables?

Let me know what you find,

Pearse

• 1 month later...

Yes, the Firmware V62 is compatible with a Symphonie Plus logger as well as original Symphonie and Symphonie Plus 3 loggers.  You should always have the latest version of Symphonie Data Retriever (SDR) software on your computer if possible so the data files being sent from your system are viewed correctly.  The latest version of SDR can be found here:https://www.renewablenrgsystems.com/services-support/resources/documentation-and-downloads/software-downloads/detail/symphonie-data-retriever-software

We are also available by email at: support@rnrgsystems.com

Thanks!

Drew

The hardware revision numbers relate to the firmware/hardware of the logger and iPack.

You're getting this message because the site file record for the iPack firmware is 057. The new data file coming in shows that the iPack's firmware has been UPGRADED to 062. If you click YES when you get this message, it will update your site file to include this new record and you will no longer get this message.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions!

• 1 month later...

Hi Sir/Ma'am

We are now again having issue on data transmission thru email of both our iPack. The cell signal is good but call function still fails. What other suggestions you can give us to troubleshoot the problem. We already resolve the problem a few months ago by replacing sim card with another service provider but it happened again. I hope you can help us with this problem.

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble getting your iPack to transmit the data files.  My guess would be that one or more of the parameters in your .ipk file are not correct or compatible.

Please send your .ipk file from the site to our support inbox so we can diagnose the issues for you.

Email the .ipk file to:  support@rnrgsystems.com

Thank you,

Drew

Archived